List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilizing libraries without testing reverse deps
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-09-30 17:12:51

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Agreed. I was always told that it is up to the arch teams to test the
> reverse deps.

While I think this makes the most sense in general, I think
maintainers do have a role.

If some package has 75 reverse dependencies, and 1 of them tends to
break every time there is an upgrade, then it makes more sense for the
maintainer to stay on top of that and coordinate stabilization.  The
arch team isn't going to remember that, and unless they test all 75
they're not going to spot the 1 that breaks.

Now, in cases like the VOIP ones where there are only 3 reverse deps
it really does make sense for the arch teams to be expected to spot
issues, especially now that tools exist to make this a bit easier...

Rich