List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
From:       Tom Wijsman <TomWij () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-09-25 19:48:23

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:15:57 +0200
Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Dnia 2013-09-25, o godz. 14:38:14
> Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
>
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:36:56 +0200
> > Martin Gysel <m.gysel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > following that logic we should also consider converting all man
> > > and info pages to html...
> > >
> > > it doesn't make any sense...
> >
> > Yet there are many websites that show these converted man pages, as
> > well as users looking them up there; that it doesn't make sense for
> > you doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is doing it.
>
> *Websites* is the keyword here.

Yes, it connects the dots between man pages and a browser.

> > > simply provide or suggest a markdown
> > > capable viewer to the user
> >
> > Yet another viewer I have to install; imagine that I had to do the
> > same for video formats, then I'd have to install an AVI player, a
> > MKV player, a MP4 player, a MOV player, an OGG player, a VOB
> > player, ...
> >
> > No, I'd rather have a single converted format and/or a single
> > player.
>
> Yet you don't mind most of our users installing a Markdown converter
> (and possibly even more converters) in the sake of converting docs to
> the format you like...

Exactly, it is a single tool as opposed to multiple.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : TomWij@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D