List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] include files question
From:       Peter Stuge <peter () stuge ! se>
Date:       2013-09-21 11:00:20

Michał Górny wrote:
> Putting another includedir is even worse kind of band-aid.

By using the expression band-aid I wasn't commenting on the virtues
of having the include file in /usr/include.

The expression "rip off the band-aid" is an idiom in english which
refers to minimizing the duration of unpleasantness by making a
change quickly and with determination.

> If we're to put them in a directory, I'd rather require
> 'more complete' includes, like:
>
>   #include <openrc/rc.h>

Consider installs into non-/usr prefixes. It's true that this may not
be so much of a concern since openrc is mostly Gentoo-specific though.

> Otherwise, you're just fighting conflicts in the scope of a single
> application.

There are two benefits of mandating use of pkg-config; one is that
openrc will just work<tm> on odd platforms such as OS X package
managers where the install prefix isn't included in the platform
compiler's include search path, the other is that the API can be
versioned trivially, allowing different versions to be installed
at the same time.

//Peter