List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] New eclass: db-use-r1
From:       Polynomial-C <polynomial-c () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-07-31 9:08:28

Hi list,

I'd like to propose a new eclass "db-use-r1" [1].
While working on the dev-libs/Ice package I found it to fail with sys-
libs/db:6.0 (see [2]) and I have found no way to use current db-use.eclass to
make Ice compile against an older sys-libs/db slot if db:6.0 is installed.

So I'd like to ask for a review of the new eclass which has a few important
changes compared to the old db-use.eclass:

- It requires ebuilds using the eclass to define DB_VERSIONS variable
- It provides avariable DB_DEPEND containing all possible db:slot versions a
package can use
- db_findver() no longer blindly returns latest installed sys-libs/db version.
it now returns the best version from DB_VERSIONS if any is installed.

I'd like to commit this eclass into portage in about a week if no veto
appears.

Thanks
Lars

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~polynomial-c/db-use-r1.eclass