List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: bertini license
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-07-30 8:56:04

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Thomas Kahle posted on Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:58:58 -0600 as excerpted:
>> 3. Conveying Modified Versions.
>>
>> You may modify the Program for your private use only.  You may not
>> convey, in any manner, a modified version of the Program without written
>> consent of all Authors of the Program.
>
> Does this allow us to create and distribute (separate, as gentoo does)
> patches, or not?  I'm unclear on that.

I can't see how they can restrict what users do with the unmodified
sources once somebody has already distributed it.  You don't need a
license to modify source code - only to distribute source code.  We're
distributing unmodified sources, so we have a license.

That's basically the rationale for not going the iceweasel route on
another popular package...

Rich