List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] repositories.xml now served via api.gentoo.org
From:       Brian Dolbec <dolsen () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-07-29 23:09:58

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 18:13 +0200, Alex Legler wrote:
> The overlays configuration file repositories.xml is the first file that
> is now being served via api.gentoo.org.
>
> New public URL: https://api.gentoo.org/overlays/repositories.xml
> Git repository: git+ssh://git@git.gentoo.org/proj/api.git
>
> The old URL will redirect to the new one.

The new url is in layman's git and is available in layman-9999 now.  It
is also an easy edit in /etc/layman/layman.cfg to change the url to the
new one.  Due to a python ssl limitation, <python-3.2 is not capable of
verifying the https connection.  There is a backport of the changes
available which I will create an ebuild for so that layman can verify
the connection.

I will get a new release out soon which will include the new portage
repos.conf style configuration changes.  Also coming very soon will be a
gpg signed repositories.xml file which layman-9999 is already capable of
verifying.  I will be changing it to use the new gentoo-keys project
which wraps the pyGPG lib I'm using in layman currently.  Currently
layman requires you to manually install the gentoo gpg release keys to
verify against.  The gentoo-keys project will automate that and provide
access to the correct keyrings for verification.

For stable layman to not use the redirect, edit /etc/layman/layman.cfg.
Change:

overlays:
    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/repositories.xml

to:

overlays:
    https://api.gentoo.org/overlays/repositories.xml

There will likely be 1 leftover cache file and it's correcponding
timestamp file in /var/lib/layman since it uses a hash of the url as
part of the filename.  The new url will produce a new, different hash
and subsequently a new pair of files. I will work on detecting that in
layman-updater and remove it automatically on upgrade.  In the meantime
they can be removed manually.