List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] dev-cpp/gtest
From:       Thomas Kahle <tomka () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-06-30 13:03:29

Hi,

dev-cpp/gtest is Google's testing framework.  According to upstream it
is supposed to be shipped as source code and then compiled by the build
system of the software that should be tested.  In particular it should
be compiled with exactly the same flags.

So far our gtest package has shipped only the compiled library and a
bunch of helper scripts.  Now bug 474454 asks for the sources to be
installed too (or exclusively).  What should we do?

a) Drop the library from the ebuild and break most of the consumers who
don't follow upstreams recommendation.
b) Install shared library and sources giving maintainers the choice to
follow upstreams instructions or not.

Here's a list of packages that have gtest in their deps:

app-i18n/librime
app-i18n/mozc
app-text/dvisvgm
dev-cpp/glog