List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [1/3] Automatic *XML->Wiki wiki.gentoo.org
From:       Alex Legler <a3li () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-06-26 13:54:47

On 16.06.2013 02:28, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> From the infra perspective, I would like to add that I support this
> move, I just have a few concerns on the conversion, one of which is
> dealt with here.
>
>> I've committed my draft XSL to the gentoo/xml/htdocs/xsl location, named
>> guidexml2wiki.xsl. It still requires some updates that I'll work on soon
>> (such as handling internal links) as I'll be using it more and more for the
>> guides on gentoo.org/doc/en to move to the wiki as well.
>> ProjectXML generates towards GuideXML, so should be usable chained.
> It would be nice to move the foundation/ content to the Wiki as well I
> think.

Sure. It doesn't count as a project I guess, so you would move into
Foundation:.* ?

>> PS An ebuild for a single stylesheet seems like overkill to me, but i've
>> been proven incorrect in the past...
> I think it would help a lot of the devs that are put off by the concept
> of XML/XSLT. Just give them a little wrapper script to generate wiki
> output.
>
> One of my large concerns was how to handle some of the tag conversion.
> We have a lot of custom tags, plus some interesting behavior in some
> tags.
>
> Sven's XSL makes a very good start, but somebody needs to put in some
> TLC for the following tags in conversion, and/or can we have it emit
> something useful so we know when we hit a tag that's missing in the
> XSLT.
>
> Here's my list of tags found in proj/ that aren't in the XSLT so far:
> (the "/>" is just because I collapsed the tag of any attributes, there probably
> needs to be an audit of how the XSL handles attributes).
>
>   179 <body/>

ignore, needed by guidexml

>   145 <i/>

<i>.*?</i> -> ''\1''

>    74 <mail/> (optional attribute link)

This functionality is replaced by the {{Mail}} template.
Usage:
* {{Mail|a3li}} -> <a href="mailto:a3li@gentoo.org">Alex Legler</a>
* {{Mail|a3li|foo}} -> <a href="mailto@a3li@gentoo.org">foo</a>
* {{Mail|a3li@g.o}} -> <a href="mailto:a3li@g.o">a3li@g.o</a>
* {{Mail|a3li@g.o|foo}} -> <a href="mailto:a3li@g.o">foo</a>

>    27 <dev/>

Project members will have to be recreated using the form.

>    25 <br/>

keep "<br />"

>    18 <license/>

Discard, everything is the same CC license, the old 2.x version allows
upgrade to the 3.0 we use.

>    15 <extrachapter/> (optional attribute position)

Discard, GuideXML specific.

>     9 <resource/> (attribute resource)

These resource things could just become a list:
  * foo
  * bar
  * baz

>     7 <project/>
>     7 <name/>
>     7 <longname/>
>     7 <longdescription/>
>     7 <description/>
>     6 <subproject/> (attribute ref)

Dump information, contents need to be recreated using the form as well.
Longdescription should 'just' be the first paragraph of the wiki page.

>     4 <goals/>
>     2 <summary/>
>     2 <requirements/>

Does anyone actually use the goals feature? imo, discard.

>     2 <recruitment/>
>     2 <keyword/>
>     2 <job/>
>     2 <details/>
>     2 <contact/>

Discard. I have moved staffing needs already.

>     1 <var/>
>     1 <subtitle/>
>     1 <stmt/>
>     1 <ident/>
>     1 <const/>

We have proper syntax hilighting in the wiki. Discard?

>     1 <extraproject/> (attribute name)

Shouldn't these be proper projects?

--
Alex Legler <a3li@gentoo.org>