List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Request for testing: plasma-active
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2013-06-23 7:50:44

Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:15:45 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
>> Semantic-desktop: Just so you guys know[...] I'm **VERY**
>> not happy with the 4.11 changes...
>
> I believe this was announced - the reason the flag was dropped was that
> it can now be turned off via configuration.  I did that and can't say
> I've noticed any lag/etc.  Maybe I should try turning it on...

Yes... I read the announcement on I think both gentoo-desktop and on one
of the dev's blogs thru gentoo-planet, and was upset then, but had a few
weeks to churn before 4.11-beta1 came out and I needed to make some
decision and take some action.

Runtime toggling still pulls in the dependencies, unfortunately, and I
don't want them near my system, so...

> I do like being able to drop file indexing/etc without losing the
> ability to install kmail.

The kmail devs left users high and dry without a dependably working mail
client, and they knew they were doing it.  Why would I go back to that
(especially with claws-mail working so well for me)?

(Yes, kde4 itself did similar, but back then I didn't have much option as
I was too heavily based on kde.  Now, it's pretty much just the core
desktop and the games as over the course of kde4 I've dropped kde for
pretty much everything else.  I still like the core desktop tho and would
prefer to continue with it, but not if it's going to be pulling in
semantic-desktop junk, and I honestly don't know if the required patches,
should gentoo/kde not reverse course, will be maintainable at my skill
level, over time.)