List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-05-09 11:00:39

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:31:21PM +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote
>
>> The overhead of the files' presence is trivial, and most users won't
>> care. Those who do care have a trivial line to add in make.conf, and
>> that is for the small number of people who share your vitriol for the
>> systemd project.
>
>   Then howsabout a "units" ebuild that installs all available units
> files for systemd users?  "The overhead of the files' presence is
> trivial, and most systemd users won't care".

Read the rest of the thread and the archives.  Both suggestions have
been discussed and they're not practical.  Your first suggestion was
specifically rejected by the council.  Your second one was suggested
only yesterday in this very same thread.

>   The thread title says it all... normal Gentoo users don't use systemd.

There is no such thing as a "normal Gentoo user."  About the closest
you'll come is a hypothetical Gentoo user who doesn't touch
/etc/portage.  I suspect that the time will be approaching soon that
there will be more development/testing targeting systemd than OpenRC
on Gentoo.  I'm sure the default will remain as-is for a long-time.
For how many years was the typical developer running OpenRC while the
typical user was running baselayout 1?

The goal is to make systemd a first class citizen in Gentoo, nothing
more.  Developers will not be required to run it, or test on it, just
as they aren't required to run or test on OpenRC or FreeBSD (two other
first-class citizens in Gentoo).

If you don't want unit files installed, just use INSTALL_MASK as
endorsed by the Council.  Ditto for docs, or init.d files, or
whatever.

Rich