List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC supporting systemd units
From:       Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-05-08 20:06:02

Michael Mol schrieb:
>> Sounds like a great feature. A crashed process is a buggy one, and I
>> would want to investigate said program before I relaunched it, and
>> not have it automatically relaunched as if nothing had happened.
>
> That's highly, highly, highly use-case dependent. If it's a
> non-critical service, or in a non-critical environment, that's one
> thing. If it's a service whose downtime can be measured in value lost,
> that's quite another.

You could be looking at someone trying to compromise your system through a
buffer overflow or similar vulnerability. If you enable automatic respawn
then congratulations, you just gave the attacker unlimited tries to guess
the correct address/offset for his exploit.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn