List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
From:       Jeroen Roovers <jer () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-04-26 16:56:21

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:21:17 -0400
"Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I agree with you entirely, but there is one major bit of information
> missing... What exactly does RESTRICT=bindist do?  AFAICT it does
> exactly nothing.  If we are going to address merging the two
> restriction (which I'm all for) then we might want to have it
> documented how it all works.

# quickpkg x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
 * x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-304.88: package has RESTRICT=bindist!
 * x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-304.88: it might not be legal to
redistribute this.
 * Building package for
   x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-304.88 ...                   [ ok ]

It issues a severe warning against distributing the built package.

use.desc:bindist - Flag to enable or disable options for prebuilt
(GRP)  packages (eg. due to licensing issues)

*cough* bug #460460 *cough*

    jer