List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-04-25 16:58:16

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
<mva@mva.name> wrote:
> Hey, all!
>
> Just one question: why do you all talking about IUSE=+oldnet, but not
> REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( net oldnet )" for example?

It it isn't necessary for a system to have support for either oldnet
or newnet.  Sure, it is rare these days, but networking support should
be a default, not a requirement.

The USE default seems pretty reasonable to me.  By all means use an
ewarn when neither is set, but it shouldn't be an error.  If we must,
a news item might help, but I think that is pushing it.  A better news
item would be explaining the perils of USE=-*.

Rich