List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
From:       "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes () waltdnes ! org>
Date:       2013-04-24 22:34:46

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:16:51PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote

> Considering our default configuration ships sshd (an argument we don't
> need to rehash here), it seems a bit silly to not ship networking
> support by default.  I'd rather not do it as part of the system set,
> though that would be consistent with what we're doing with ssh, and it
> is still override-able.

  We're talking two different items here...
1) Necessary functionality for the minimal-install ISO to work
2) The installed software on a running system

  Item 1) is constrained by the real world... do what you have to do to
create a functional install ISO

  Item 2) will be due to customizations done by admins for their
specific needs.  There's no way to predict how Joe Admin is going to
integrate the various available software services.

  To handle the various possible cases, maybe we need a "virtual/net" as
part of the system set, which can be satisfied by either oldnet or
newnet or whatever.  The install ISO will have a basic working network
stack (IPV4+IPV6).  After the initial install, the admin can do
whatever.  Maybe even invoke package.provided.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>