List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
From:       William Hubbs <williamh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-04-24 16:16:06

All,

it has been suggested that gentoo's oldnet scripts be split out into
their own package separate from OpenRC so that they can be developed
independently. I am looking at doing this for OpenRC 0.12, which I hope
to release soon.

This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that
includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.

My plan is  to write a newsitem when OpenRC 0.12 is released
telling users this and that they will have to emerge gentoo-oldnet to
get the gentoo networking scripts or turn on the newnet (maybe I'll
change this to net) use flag to get OpenRC's network scripts installed
and put ewarns in the ebuild if this use flag is turned off.

I feel that a newsitem and ewarns in the OpenRC ebuild cover live
systems well. In a nutshell, users should pay attention to their news
items and ewarns.

On the other hand, some are suggesting that I should add a runtime
dependency to OpenRC so that it pulls in gentoo-oldnet. Since OpenRC
doesn't need gentoo-oldnet in order to run, I feel like this would be
abusing dependencies.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

William