List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in virtual/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-9.ebuild ChangeLog
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-08 21:41:04

On Thursday 07 of February 2013 06:52:44 Peter Stuge wrote:

> Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> > we as gentoo will provide both while preffered default will be what
> > major distros use.
>
> What kind of careless mainstream attitude is that? Really?

Quite the opposite, decision to use implementation A over B was taken with
utmost care for user in mind.

> I mean: You are saying that given two options, Gentoo will do
> whatever "major distros" are doing.
>
> (Never mind that Gentoo *is* a major distro, and whatever Gentoo does
> generates collective bias just like whatever any other distro does.)

We are not, let's not go too far, please.

> Oops, I forgot - that would mean actually having to *get informed* first.
>
> "We as gentoo" must certainly avoid getting informed at all
> cost!!!!111oneone
>
> Are you *really* quite serious? Please explain yourself.
>
> > If you disagree with that and you don't want your lead to make that
> > decision
> Hm? Where can I learn more about the "lead" ? So it is a single
> person's decision, and not "we as gentoo" that decides? I'd like to
> understand how this decision making process actually works. Does
> anyone know?

It depends - in distro-wide, package-tree-wide matters we have Gentoo Council.
In local matters like this - who does the job decides. Tomáš does the job - he
decides.

> > which you and I both don't want.
>
> Guess what - I have been on the receiving end of the arguably
> insanely lame mainstream attitude that you support, and honestly
>
> it fucking broke my heart
> that people working on Linux distributions (it wasn't just Gentoo,
> it was *every* distro) would be so genuinely uninterested in what
> happens upstream, especially at a time where a downstream decision
> may carry a bit of extra weight.
>
> I do not want that.
>
> (Around the time this happened to me I wrote roughly the same in a
> private email to developers of another distribution which shall
> remain unnamed. I found that email in a pastebin a few days later.)
>

> It is long since clear to me that I have much too high expectations
> on people.
>
> But are you *REALLY* not able to do *any* better than "default will
> be what major distros use" ?
>
> Seriously?

Seriously you should take a deep breath, walk a dog maybe :)

regards
MM