List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-01-27 1:06:56

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Rich Freeman wrote:
>> having a standardized kernel with a few flags probably isn't a bad idea.
>
> That doesn't scale at all. Suggest instead take a .config as input to
> the emerge, maybe something like savedconfig for busybox, and add
> shortcuts for common options.
>
> That way, the same mechanism can be used for arbitrarily complex
> configurations too.

The intent would be to have all non-mutually-incompatible options
enabled as modules and an accompanying initramfs.  That's what every
single other distro does - it works reasonably well.  USE flags might
be used for any odd situations that can't be covered in this way
(though I can't think of any offhand - odd situations are probably
handled best with a manual build).

If you're just going to feed it a .config file then you might as well
use genkernel - the idea is to be bulletproof.  Just emerge the
package and run grub-install and you have a bootable system.

Rich