List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Defaulting for debug information in profiles
From:       Ben de Groot <yngwin () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-12-23 9:02:02

On 17 December 2012 18:55, Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/12/17 Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org>:
> > Please don't. For most users this is a waste of resources.
> >
> On first look it seems like waste of resources.
> On second hand it makes stuff easy wrt bugreports provided by users.
> And believe me when I say most upstreams are pissed by gentoo reports
> because they lack any good debuginfo features, nor they know how to
> tell users how to make their systems contain debug informations. I
> have seen quite few upstreams rejecting all  by Gentoo reported issues
> because of this, plus they were quite suprised that I actually can
> generate any sane debug informations with it.

I still think it is a bad idea to enable something that is not necessary
for most users by default.

For your purposes it should be enough to update our existing documentation
about debugging, and link to it from the handbook. Let the user make an
informed choice by himself.
--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin