List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-libs/boost: boost-1.46.1-r1.ebuild metada
From:       Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes () flameeyes ! eu>
Date:       2012-10-31 18:58:16

On 31/10/2012 11:49, Michał Górny wrote:
> In other words, you have thrown a big, destructive change to live,
> stable systems without prior testing (and don't say you were able to
> test it thoroughly in one day's time) and you have left them for other
> people to maintain and fix.
>
> I am really getting tired of those 'senior developers' who believe that
> Gentoo is their private playground where they can do whatever comes
> into their mind and ignore package maintainers.

Given the kind of destructive behaviour that boost has been having,
given that everybody else _beside you_ don't see any reason to keep that
slotted boost, given that you've been acting for the most part as a
sockpuppet for a developer who's been kicked out of Gentoo, I think it's
obvious why I went the way I went.

If this is "destructive", everything that has been done with boost up to
this point is "apocalyptic".

Here's the deal: I've stated clearly what the situation was going to be;
Tiziano has been the primary maintainer (first in the list) and he's
okay with the move, he _is_ in the cpp herd that will take care of it,
and as I said I'll make sure to help out because I have a number of
packages depending on boost (but not on other C++ libraries).

You had a month while Mike delayed glibc-2.16 stable, among other things
because of boost-1.50, and you did _squat_ to handle it. So it's time
that people who've been there before step up and fix it the way that it
has to be fixed.

(And yes, I haven't tested it _thoroughly_ unfortunately, because of the
stupid testsuite that goes nowhere and so on ... but I made sure that an
update on a stable system does not change links to libraries and
headers, and now I'm running tinderboxing for both ~arch, masked and
stable.)

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/