On 09/22/2012 09:48 AM, Ambroz Bizjak wrote: > Zac, I think you misunderstood me here. Crosscompile-only HDEPEND is > definitely necessary, I've seen many packages need this. But what I'm > suggesting is that we also, and maybe only, need "ROOT != /" - only > HDEPEND dependencies. This means that the dependency would only be > required if the package is being built for a ROOT that is not /. The > idea is to eliminate the strange case that is ROOT!=/ but FEATURES has > no crosscompile. If the package requires tools that it would build > itself if ROOT was /, it will use the host's version of the tool > whenever ROOT!=/ It wouldn't have to worry about whether the tools it > builds link to libraries in ROOT. > > So my proposal is basically, instead of: > HDEPEND="crosscompile? ( ~${CATEGORY}/${P} ) (yes, that seems to be > the most common case) > > there would also, and maybe only, be: > HDEPEND="root_not_slash? ( ~${CATEGORY}/${P} )" > > root_not_slash (or another name) would essentially be a superset of > crosscompile, since crosscompile implies ROOT!=/. Maybe call it "sysroot" instead of root_not_slash, since gcc and other tools seem to refer to it as sysroot. -- Thanks, Zac