List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Detecting ignored *FLAGS
From:       "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-07-27 17:38:31

On 07/27/2012 06:49 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:44:47 -0400 as
> excerpted:
>
>>  * Messages for package app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20120520:
>>
>>  * QA Notice: Missing soname symlink(s):
>>  *
>>  * 	usr/lib32/libgnuintl.so.8 -> preloadable_libintl.so
>>  *
>>  * QA Notice: Missing soname symlink(s):
>>  *
>>  * 	usr/lib32/libgnuintl.so.8 -> preloadable_libintl.so
>>  *
>>  * QA Notice: Files built without respecting CFLAGS have been detected
>>  *  Please include the following list of files in your report:
>>  * /lib32/libpam.so.0.83.1 * /lib32/libgpm.so.1.20.0
>

> I'm unsure whether you realize that app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* are
> special-case and I'm missing something obvious (like some indication that
> you're simply trying to shutup the warnings in this case), or whether
> it's you missing the obvious, but just in case it's the latter I'll risk
> publicly exposing the fact that I missed the former... =:^\
>
> The emul-linux-x86-* packages are pre-compiled 32-bit binaries there for
> the convenience of amd64 multilib users who don't wish to run the 32-bit
> chroot and separate 32-bit stage-based PM installation otherwise
> necessary (in the absence of true multi-arch package-manager support) in
> ordered to build the 32-bit libraries needed by some of their presumably
> proprietary 32-bit-binary-only apps.
>
> As such, they'll NEVER respect local CFLAGS, since they're not built
> locally.

There are various QA_something_something which silence the warning, I'm
not saying they have to actually fix the cflags issue but I want to not
get warned when I shouldn't, like on prebuilt stuff like this.

> Similarly, various so-name symlinks (plus headerfiles, *.pc files, etc)
> are omitted as they're only necessary when building reverse-deps, and
> these are binary-only packages not intended to be built against, and
> including these files would only increase the likelihood of conflict when
> trying to build against the 64-bit versions.

I actually didn't intend to paste that error, I was only trying to get
the cflags ones, but since you mentioned it, I'm sure there is a
QA_something to silence that error or, you know, dosym.  Users shouldn't
see QA warnings, those are for devs to fix before committing.

Thanks,
Zero