List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ROMs category suggestion
From:       Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-07-26 9:48:34

Kent Fredric schrieb:
> firmware-video/ati-firmware
> firmware-video/ati
>
> and any category name with "Firmware" in it, will result in lots of
> redundant names exposed to users/deps if the package /also/  has
> firmware in the name.

Indeed, but this redundancy already exists in tree, e.g. dev-libs/lib*
or sys-libs/lib*.
I would deviate from upstream name only when there is a good reason to.

> There's also the other thing to consider, and thats there's a lot of
> hardware related stuff that is similar to firmware in a way, but also
> totally devoid of a central category for it. Namely, kernel level
> drivers. ( Which are not /that/ far removed from firmware, considering
> that you can compile firmware into kernels and they're of similar
> levels of necessity ).

The only other thing I would group together with firmware is the Atheros
HAL from the madwifi driver.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn