List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Request for council vote - package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
From:       "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-07-21 8:46:37

Dear Gentoo council,

I would like to bring up for your next meeting agenda a vote on the adoption
of the following feature in EAPI 5: "Support package.use.stable.mask and
package.use.stable.force files in profile dirs that restrict the use flag
combinations only for stable packages".

Why? This would allow switching off features that are know to be still
problematic, while keeping the ebuild unchanged. Also, it would allow
conditional dependencies on non-stable packages that automatically "go away on
stabilization" (e.g., cups systemd support).

* This has been discussed on the gentoo-dev mailing list, with an overall
positive response and some good ideas on the exact semantics, see thread [1].

* I have posted two patches for PMS, describing the feature and then
restricting its usage to EAPI 5, see thread [2]. Short of rewriting all of
PMS, I've implemented all that was asked from me there.

* As for a reference implementation, Zac's comment basically was that it's not
too hard to do, and I'm hoping for his support.

Please restrict any follow-up *technical* discussion to gentoo-dev.

Cheers,
Andreas

[1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-
dev/msg_53f32ab76ba5861d655436b0927e6956.xml

[2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-
pms/msg_8e5045bdb9761409a1a8a65ac2757c38.xml

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer