List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Proposal to move use.local.desc somewhere in /var
From:       Steven J Long <slong () rathaus ! eclipse ! co ! uk>
Date:       2012-04-28 1:02:07

Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 April 2012 02:26:19 Steven J Long wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:

>> > it's also a bit of a speed issue.  i often want to look at what flags
>> > get used
>> > across the tree.  what's faster: loading + parsing 15000 xml files, or
>> > files is probably fine, but i'm not sure dropping it completely is an
>> > improvement.
>>
>> Agreed. I don't think it's a good idea to lose the ability to script
>> against the tree from bash.
>
> technically, you can script with xml files just fine from bash.  install
> app- text/xmlstarlet and use the `xml` tool.

Oh, I've been a fan for several years[1] :) I still don't want to require it
as a dependency, especially when, as you say, it's quick and easy to access
a single file per-repo.

There's utility in it, and there isn't any real gain in ditching it, beyond
not requiring its generation. And since it's been unnoticed for such a long
while, it can't be causing any real troubles. So why lose its usefulness?

It certainly counts as a file that should be synchronised as part of the
repo, though. So if you're going to move it to /var, better to move
/usr/portage itself, imo.

(This thread feels like it's really about that, tbh, but users can already
set it where they want and often just have a separate partition, or if
they're bothered have already configured it to /var/portage, so it's more
about new users, and whether a baselayout change is worth the hassle.)

Regards,
Steve.

[1] cf: /msg friendlyToaster xml
--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)