List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
From:       "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes () waltdnes ! org>
Date:       2012-03-31 23:25:08

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:42:50AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote
> On 03/31/2012 06:34 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > About the wiki page, I can only document reiserfs+tail usage as it's the
> > one I use and I know, about other alternatives like using squashfs, loop
> > mount... I cannot promise anything as I simply don't know how to set
> > them.
>
> Squashfs is really simple to use:
>
>    mksquashfs /usr/portage portage.squashfs
>    mount -o loop portage.squashfs /usr/portage

  Don't the "space-saving filesystems" (squashfs, reiserfs-with-tail,
etc) run more slowly due to their extra finicky steps to save space?  If
you really want to save a gigabyte or 2, run "eclean -d distfiles" and
"localepurge" after every emerge update.  I've also cobbled together my
own "autodepclean" script that check for, and optionally unmerges
unneeded stuff that was pulled in as a dependancy of a package that has
since been removed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>