List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: virtual/modutils and module-init-tools
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2012-02-25 22:51:39

Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:04:22 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:28:23AM +0000, Duncan wrote
>
>> That leaves those using a dev-manager other than udev in a current
>> installation who are depending on the current system set listing to
>> bring in module-init-tools.  I believe busybox has it's own modutils as
>> well, doesn't it, so that eliminates them.
>
>   Would this require tweaking the virtual/dev-manager ebuild?  Taking a
> quick glance at http://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html it does have
> lsmod/modprobe/rmmod, but not modinfo.  Are there any ebuilds or init
> scripts that use modprobe or rmmod?  If so, the ebuild should at least
> have an ewarn message telling mdev users to create the necessary
> symlinks to modprobe/rmmod.  Maybe even attempt to create the symlinks
> if they don't already exist.

FWIW I don't have busybox installed either (negating @system entry in
/etc/portage/profiles/packages, I use either init=/bin/bash on the kernel
command line, or a second copy of the rootfs taken when the system was
generally stable, as my emergency boot solution, no busybox necessary),
so I'm not familiar with it at all.

But as I stated I've had module-init-tools in package.provided for quite
some time, no noticed ill effects.  The only deps I see on it presently
are sys-apps/rescan-scsi-bus (itself a dep of k3b, cd/dvd-burning app,
this will obviously be replaced with a virtual/modutils dep) and
virtual/modutils itself.  I don't see any deps on virtual/modutils
presently.  But of course I don't have all apps installed, either.