List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: About gcc-4.6 unmasking
From:       Ryan Hill <dirtyepic () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-02-21 2:19:42

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:37:39 -0500
Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> I took a look at the problem cited in your bug report. I suggest
> compiling sys-boot/grub with CFLAGS="-O0 -ggdb3", attaching gdb to
> grub-install and then watching what happens in the debugger. If you
> compare runs with a GCC 4.5.3 built stage2 and a GCC 4.6.2 built
> stage2, you should be able to find the bug.

Sorry, the bug report is confusing.  It's actually two bugs, the first being
a miscompiled stage2 causing an error when running grub-install and making
the system unbootable.  I fixed that back in Sept.  The second bug is a
continuous boot loop that only seems to manifest on certain machines or
configurations.  This is the one I'm having trouble with.  I should have
opened a new report for it, but at the time I thought it was due to fallout
from the first patch.

The biggest problem is that I can't reproduce it on either of my systems, so
I have no way of narrowing it down.  FWIW, I did a comparison of /boot/grub/*
from a broken system and my own and they are byte-for-byte identical.

--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets