List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
From:       Kerin Millar <kerframil () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-20 12:27:41

On 20/02/2012 07:47, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 20-02-2012 03:07:33 +0000, Kerin Millar wrote:
>> I know that adding LANG=POSIX doesn't do anything in this case but I
>> have a feeling that its presence would be instructive to new users. If a
>> user is asked to configure something which isn't present, it often
>> generates questions which might otherwise be avoided. I've changed
>> "en_US.UTF-8" to "en_US.utf8" there for similar reasons.
>
> I don't understand.  UTF-8 is the codeset, that utf8 is recognised as
> the same thing is IMO a GNUism.  glibc understands "UTF-8" perfectly
> fine these days, so it should preferably be used instead.  (Even the
> man-page, utf8(7), suggests that.)

Most users don't read man pages. The rationale was that the user can
copy-paste exactly what they see from "locale -a", which might diminish
the number of questions asked about it via mainstream support channels,
as well as simplifying the instructions in the sample comment. It was
just a thought; no big deal.

--Kerin