List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
From:       Zac Medico <zmedico () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-10-18 18:03:05

On 10/17/2011 01:59 PM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> On Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:33:51 PM Zac Medico wrote:
>> If those LVM volumes require userspace tools to mount, then I think it's
>> perfectly reasonable to expect them to use either an initramfs or a
>> simple linuxrc approach [1] to ensure that /usr is mounted before init
>> starts.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_20749880f5bc5feda141488498729fe8.xml
>
> If this approach works, would it be an option to add this to the LVM [1] and
> RAID+LVM [2] pages?

You can use a linuxrc instead of an initramfs as long as your root
filesystem can be mounted automatically via kernel parameters, and that
root filesystem contains the necessary userspace tools (like busybox and
lvm) to mount everthing else that's required to be mounted before init
starts.

--
Thanks,
Zac