List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Stable and keyword requests by users
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-08-31 8:44:30

>> Can users file stable and keyword requests?

> They even should, I'd say. But please only do that for packages
> you're actually using/you actually need. And, as Justin pointed out,
> please don't CC arches yourself; package maintainer has to decide
> first if it can get keyworded/go stable.

That's not completely accurate. While stable requests should indeed be
handled by the package maintainer, keyword requests can be handled by
bug wranglers.

The policy is documented in
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/bug-wranglers/>:

# * A keyword request should be assigned to the package's maintainer
#   and CC'd to the appropriate arch team(s). The report's Keywords
#   field should contain the KEYWORDREQ keyword.
#
# * A stabilisation request should be handled by the package's
#   maintainer, so you should not CC arch teams in your role as bug
#   wrangler, nor set the STABLEREQ keyword in the Keywords field.
#   Unless the package is maintainer-needed, then you should add
#   arches and set the Keyword field if the bug makes sense.

Ulrich