List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] On the use of bash-completion use flag
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-06-24 10:37:58

> There's no reason that a dozen of packages PDEPENDs on
> bash-completion. If one decides not to use bash-completion any
> longer, I don't see a reason to rebuild all those packages just to
> get rid of one PDEPEND (and a single file).

The question is where to draw the line:

"There's no reason that a dozen of packages RDEPENDs on emacs. If one
decides not to use emacs any longer, I don't see a reason to rebuild
all those packages just to get rid of one RDEPEND (and a single
file)."

Same argument. ;) Should packages install their emacs support files
(it's only one or two small files in most cases) unconditionally?

But seriously: I believe that most people would agree that logrotate
config files should be installed unconditionally, whereas in the case
of emacs they would disagree. bash-completion is somewhere inbetween.

Ulrich