List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] PyXML
From:       Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-05-17 20:53:03

2011-05-17 21:21:48 Tomáš Chvátal napisał(a):
> Dne 17.5.2011 21:12, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis napsal(a):

> >> As I already asked,
> >> what problem do we have to keep PyXML in main tree to be used with python2.
> >>
> >> Your specific hack introduce different behaviour for python2.7.1-r2
> >> where you do not explain the need for it at all.
> >
> > I had already explained it in many places.
> >
> >> It is just python2 thing and we can happily use PyXML as it works even
> >> with latest python-2.7.
> >>
> >> So where is the problem?
> >
> > Fixes for at least the following bugs are absent when PyXML is installed:
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue4877
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue6098
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue5762
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue5027
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue9054
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue777884
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1433694
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue847665
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1472827
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1094164
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1309009
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue1262320
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue925152
> >
> 2 options
> 1) fix PyXML
> 2) drop all packages including PyXML
>
> Altering system package is not the option.

Changing of any package is always an option, when given change fixes or works around a problem
and its benefits outweigh costs. The patches for about 20 packages will be easy to maintain,
since there is easy algorithm of generation of these patches (addition of constant 3-line code
before first import of xml module).

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis