List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing systemd units with gx86 packages
From:       Michał Górny <mgorny () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-04-25 7:37:36

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:11:10 -0500
William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:55:14PM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > > I think the better way to handle this will be to patch the build
> > > systems to not make this an automagic dependency and send those
> > > patches upstream.
> > >
> > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/automagic.xml
> > >
> > > I'm not a member of qa, but I agree with this position on
> > > automagic dependencies.
> >
> > I'm speaking as a simple user, but I don't think the systemd unit
> > files qualify as automagic dependencies as described by the QA
> > document. In the first place, as Michael pointed out, we can disable
> > them with --without-systemdsystemunitdir, so there is no magic at
> > all.
>
> Ah ok, I guess I missed that. The qa document says there is an
> automagic dependency if the builder can't turn this off. But, you are
> asying that the builder can turn it off with the --without option.
>
> In that case, the dependency is not automagic.

I'm sorry I didn't explained that clearly. The fact is that it becomes
automagic if builder doesn't care about turning it on or off which was
the case for many recent fdo package bumps.

> > In the second place, the usual Gentoo way of enabling OpenRC
> > services is to *add* init.d scripts in the ebuild, and this is
> > completely orthogonal to a package installing a systemd unit file
> > (the presence of the later does not matter to OpenRC at all).
>
> This is another topic I may bring up at some point, if you are using
> systemd, etc, and openrc is not even installed on your system, do you
> need /etc/init.d at all? Once openrc goes stable, I might bring that
> up for discussion.

I'd say INSTALL_MASK, again. Although it'd be hard to grab all udev
rules and other junk like that, it would work fine with most
of the scripts.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny