List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
From:       Jesús_J._Guerrero_Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-31 9:28:58

2011/3/31 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> Well technically yep, but for lets say the ffmpeg the mp3 useflag means
> "Enable mp3 encoding support." :)
>
> If user sets -mp3 it still can play mp3 tracks but in really worse
> quality so it is just nice convinience that ffmpeg always allows playing
> those files.
>
> Since i was that kind and disabled internal libmp3 that was first in
> order of what would be used simply with -mp3 you will get mplayer
> playing mp3 tracks but it is not desirable for you to do so.

However, if I wanted someone else deciding what's "desirable" for me I
wouldn't be using Gentoo, and I wouldn't care about USE flags at all.

The only important thing here is that the label on top of the big red
button doesn't match the purpose of the big red button. The final user
doesn't really care if the USE is global or not, and s/he certainly
doesn't care as much about the USE flag name as s/he can care about
the USE flag purpose.

On the other side, I remind everyone that there's bugs.gentoo.org
which is where everyone should be reporting USE flag bugs instead of
wasting the time here. Just like I do when I feel something is not
right. Things usually get fixed.The last one that got my attention was
the "symlink" flag for mplayer2, I reported it yesterday, now the fix
is in the tree.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella