List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Blockers and package moves
From:       Jeroen Roovers <jer () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2011-01-20 19:44:07

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:07:20 -0500
Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:10, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > How about playing nicely with overlays where the moves didn't happen
> > (yet)?

> I'm not sure you have to worry about overlays. The developers of the
> overlays will worry about them.
>
> Now, for the educated: is this fair or accurate?

I maintain just the one overlay, which is my own, non-public playpen.
On bugs.gentoo.org, we generally deal with invalid bugs filed because
of out of date / moved / broken overlays, or the maintainers of the now
broken packages in the main tree will, by marking them as invalid, or
perhaps by assigning the bugs to the overlay's maintainer, if [1]
lists the overlay, thereby making it official.

Generally, fixing the main tree because of problems in overlays isn't
desirable, and shouldn't be done, provided it actually could be done at
all.

     jer

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt