List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Disabling auto-bumping of active Python version
From:       Christian Faulhammer <fauli () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2010-11-29 13:12:40

Hi,

Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org>:
> On 11/29/10 13:10, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> > $ eselect python --help
> > Manage Python symlinks
> > Usage: eselect python <action> <options>
> >
> > [...]
> > update                    Switch to the most recent CPython
> > interpreter --if-unset                Do not override existing
> > implementation --ignore SLOT             Ignore SLOT when setting
> > symlinks --python2                 Set active Python 2 interpreter
> > without setting of main active Python interpreter if it is not set
> > to Python 2 --python3                 Set active Python 3
> > interpreter without setting of main active Python interpreter if it
> > is not set to Python 3
> >
> > See the --if-unset option.
>
> I see, thanks.
>
> What I would now like to call from the ebuild is
>
>   eselect python set --if-unset ${SLOT}
>
> Problem is ..
> * action "set" wants and index, not a slot

 The Python eselect module can take python${SLOT} as argument for set.

> * --if-unset works with update only

 At least for the Emacs eselect module update works like set if
--if-unset is given.  So Python 2.6 has to be merged first to set it to
python2.6 executable, then all subsequent calls from newer Python
ebuilds (like 3.1) will not change the setting.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>