List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-auth/munge:
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2010-11-20 20:28:02

> This is kind of a strange time to run these, since then you'll end
> up with a new user and group even if the build fails or is killed.
> You'll also end up with extraneous users and groups on build
> servers. Does this user/group need to be present on the build system
> for some reason? I'd much prefer to see it in pkg_{pre,post}inst(),
> despite pkg_setup() being much more common in the tree (from a dumb
> grep/sort/uniq):

>      74 pkg_preinst() {
>     101 pkg_postinst() {
>     369 pkg_setup() {

Don't forget the various eclasses creating users and groups, which
probably account for even more ebuilds:

   apache-2.eclass
   games.eclass
   mysql.eclass
   qmail.eclass
   vmware-mod.eclass

All of them call enew{user,group} from pkg_setup. (With the exception
of mysql.eclass, which for some reason calls them from both pkg_setup
and pkg_preinst.)

Ulrich