List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag: introspection
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-23 13:14:34

On Tuesday 22 of June 2010 19:14:38 Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On 20 June 2010 20:12, Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@gentoo.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
> > there aren't any.
>
> Is anyone here vehemently against "introspection".

Not vehemently, but how would you differentiate between gobject introspection
or (let's say) DBus introspection or Kross (if anyone writes one).

'introspection' global USE flag simply cannot be described as:

because the term introspection is not specific to GObject. Period.

Now, I don't want to sound harsh, but I understand in Gnome camp (upstream)
there's a tendency to use commonly used names for Gnome specific
"technologies". For instance - there's WebKitGtk but tarballs is called (yes,
you guessed it) - webkit-${PV}.tar.gz. It's like for many Desktop Environment
means Gnome, Linux means Ubuntu and such.
The same applies to GObject introspection - in autotools there's --enable-
introspection switch for it like the term introspection was exclusive for
GObject. Also many upstream developers working with Gnome/Gtk/Glib libs and
using said GObject introspection will defend their right to hijack this term
(like certain developer of a library I maintain in Gentoo).

I'd prefer not to see such practice here.
I'd suggest gobject-introspection USE flag instead - it's self describing.
If 'introspection' USE flag is to be used globally, it needs to have
description implementation-agnostic, let's say:

"Enable runtime API introspection"

or something like this.

--
regards