List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in
From:       Alex Alexander <wired () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2010-06-29 17:59:53

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:25:50PM +0100, David Leverton wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:46:52 Alex Alexander wrote:
> > If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the
> > project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the
> > community :)
>
> I see your point to some extent, but the concern is that such decisions might
> sometimes get made according to who's best at ignoring technical objections
> rather than what's the best thing to do.  It has happened before, although in
> that case the change was made first, and then when the issue was brought up
> it got basically ignored for so long that it would be pointless to fix.  It
> would be worrying if things like that started to happen more often.

I understand your concern. But this is no such case. We went through the
discussion phase already. We're trying to avoid an endless loop.

> In any case, as mentioned in my other mail, if this particular change is done
> in a way that's optional for the user, I personally won't be /too/ upset if
> the rest of you want to do unspeakable things to your systems ;-).

This thread is about LDFLAGS+="--as-needed" in make.defaults,
which can be overridden, so I don't see any issues there either.
You're free to change the defaults if you don't like them :)

--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer