List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: changing ssl use flag descriptions and unify behavior
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2010-03-29 8:59:45

On Sunday 28 March 2010 02:03:43 Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > See this thread for background:
> > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_0673a33fe75961e510872fd2c1044ce
> > d.xml
> >
> > I think we should go through all the ssl use flag using packages and
> > unify the use flag descriptions and behavior to the following standing
> > policy (handed down probably):
> >
> > 1) packages always have the general ssl use flag to control whether to
> >   enable ssl at all
> > 2) If the package supports multiple backends then there's use flags for
> >   gnutls, openssl or nss. EAPI 2 use defaults will be used to
> >   communicate upstream defaults if any. If they are all turned of
> >   select the default (ssl being on).
> >
> > No objections and I will open a tracker a week from now and let's see
> > who joins up to go through packages and open bugs.
>
> I seriously hate changing USE flags for the sake of changing use
> flags.

i dont really think USE=ssl is changing.  it has always been "enable SSL
support".  unfortunately, because this is usually done via openssl, some
maintainers thought the flag was the same thing as "use openssl".  so any
package that is changing is most likely because is currently using USE=ssl
incorrectly, or not respecting it at all (which is also incorrect).
-mike