List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] metdata.dtd should require <herd/>
From:       Jeroen Roovers <jer () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-12-24 16:12:22

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:37:26 -0500
Richard Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I think we should definitely have some way of designating which
> should be the contact for bugs.  I've had some bugs sit around for a
> while without being noticed because they were assigned to the herd
> the package is in, and not to me personally, and I don't generally
> work with that herd, and the project associated with the herd doesn't
> generally maintain the package.

That means the bug wasn't properly assigned... I've set up some rules
[1] that might help there. It comes down to this:

1) If one or more <maintainer> tags are listed, assign to the first one
mentioned.
2) If no <maintainer> tag is listed, assign to the first <herd>
mentioned.
3) CC everyone else listed (<maintainer>s and <herd>s).

The rationale is that if one or more <maintainer>s are listed as well as
one or more <herd>s, a bug wrangler shouldn't need to go find out if
that maintainer happens to be on the <herd>'s alias as well (otherwise,
why would it mention those maintainers separately?).

The order in which <maintainer> and <herd> tags are listed isn't
special, because <maintainer> goes before <herd> for the reason set out
above. The order of multiple <maintainer> tags (or multiple <herd> tags)
does matter: the first one you find is the Assignee, the others are
CC'd.

Regards,
     jer

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/bug-wranglers/index.xml#doc_chap4