List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database
From:       Brian Harring <ferringb () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-28 5:11:57

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:32:30AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> Brian Harring wrote:
> > The proposal is pretty simple; if code modifies the vdb in any
> > fashion, it needs to update the mtime on a file named
> > '.modification_time' in the root of the vdb.
>
> I'd to prefer using the mtime of the /var/db/pkg directory itself,
> since existence of a '.modification_time' file isn't going to prove
> that an programs that don't recognize that file haven't made any
> modifications.

Grumble.  Works for me.

> We can also use the mtimes of category subdirectories, in order to
> indicate whether a modification has occurred in any given category.

Pkgcore already relies on that for old style virtuals cache.  The
pisser there is that modifications w/in a node don't result in a
category level mtime- it certainly would be nice to have it formalized
in some fashion so that cache regeneration could just work on the
areas it needs to.

~brian