List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multilib and the compatibility to singlelib
From:       Michael Haubenwallner <haubi () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-10-27 10:19:25

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 07:34:18 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> this doesnt make any sense to me
>> What exactly doesn't make sense to you:
>
> it doesnt make sense to build your own toolchain when the default native one
> Gentoo provides includes all multilib support already.
>
> but i guess when you're commercially developing a binary-only package, people
> tend to not have such freedoms as the binary-only mentality infects all
> layers.

Even if it's commercially, it isn't binary-only here. But it is bound
to a specific set of (likely older) toolchain versions usually not
available on the target system.
I just don't want to make an exception for Gentoo Linux hosts when it
does work on both RedHat and SuSE Linux as well as *nix.

>>> your description of "compatible" is pretty vague.  ignoring /lib ->
>>> /lib64 symlink (which shouldnt matter to any binaries), i'm not aware of
>>> any differences off the top of my head.
>> Well, "compatible" here means to me that when I do
>> $ configure --{build,host}=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> assuming you simply forgot the forcing of -m32 here, or you have a fully named
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-... toolchain

I do (like to) have a fully qualified i686-pc-linux-gnu-* toolchain.
Adding -m32 would require to create the i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc wrapper,
resulting in some kind of a fully qualified i686 toolchain again.

>> It turns out that it is the "/lib resolving to 64bit" thing only that
>> causes me headaches here, which actually is distro-specific.
>
> i'm not against changing things to fall in line with what other distros have
> settled on (guess that's the risk you take when you're one of the first
> distros to do multilib), i just want this kind of decision to be fully
> informed / thought out before making it.  it's not something i'd label
> "trivial".

Fully agreed. But as I don't have time to carry on this symlink change,
I'm going to live with the patches for now (in Prefix).
OTOH, Debian uses /lib->/lib64 symlink too IIRC...

Thank you!
/haubi/