List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay usage and maintainence [was: DistroWatch and
From:       Jesús_Guerrero <i92guboj () terra ! es>
Date:       2009-09-13 19:03:13

http://gentoo.zapto.org/

> Second issue: "I want foopackage and barpackage, but not your hacked
gcc"
> Overlays can overshadow tree packages, which can have undesired effects.

Smart overlays shouldn't do that (and if you are using ~arch then it's
*your* problem). No one forces you to get the full overlay though. You can
put the overlay out of the PORTDIR_OVERLAY, and then just symlink the
wanted
directories into your PORTDIR_OVERLAY, that way you will get the
facilities
of layman and the advantage or a greater control.

>>  With those two sets above removed, overlays would either contain
>>  breaking
>>  stuff (playground for devs) or not checked ebuilds from users. For
both
>>  sets, the above ussage with layman should be easy enough.
> Indeed. And everything else should go into the tree.
> Also, everyone contributing regularly to an overlay (like X-Drum, who
has
> done
> an awesome job at maintaining Virtualbox) should sooner or later be
> recruited
> to work on the Big Overlay instead.
>
> Which points at another problem - our recruiting isn't as active as it
> should
> be. Maybe we should have the Sith rule of gentoo dev'ing ... "Always two
> there
> are, a master and an apprentice". It should be every dev's goal to have
at
> least one recruit at most times :)
>
> Or for those of you too lazy for that - do whatever you can to recruit
> your
> replacement. Once you've managed that you can be as lazy as you want!

Yep. All comes down to the same, lack of man power I think.
--
Jesús Guerrero