List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
From:       Jesús_Guerrero <i92guboj () terra ! es>
Date:       2009-09-13 10:57:59

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 06:47:27 -0400, Richard Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>>
>> Most Gentoo users will have no problem to use overlays as they need
>> them. If we had more developers we could as maintain more packages,
>> as simple as that.
>>

> I actually tend to agree with this position,

It's not something to agree or disagree. There aren't developers to
maintain
all the software under the sun, period.

> however to use overlays as
> a valid solution for end-users we need to do more to support them.

Yeah, devs for that as well.

> Right now it is at least a little painful to get set up with an overlay.

No, it's a matter of using layman -a <whatever>

>   There also isn't really any official place to vet overlays, and there
> isn't any official source for overlays that aren't maintained by gentoo.
>
> Sure, overlays.g.o has tons of overlays - but which ones are
> mostly-stable, and which ones are intended to break systems?  What is
> the QA policy for each overlay?  If I'm an end-user not interested in
> breaking my system, what overlays are safe for me to use?

There's no policy. Just like unofficial repos for any other distro.
We can't control that. It's outside Gentoo.

While I agree that having more packages and being more up to date is
a good thing, I can never agree that we should sacrifice Gentoo for that.
You want stability for what I see on your answer, well, that's what you
have. I don't think we can do any more with the number of developers we
have right now unless we start dumping blindingly and without any check
every ebuild that we get across.

--
Jesús Guerrero