List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel
From:       Jeremy Olexa <darkside () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-08-31 15:46:56

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM, William Hubbs<williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 08:16:47PM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Matthias Schwarzott<zzam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> > Hi there!
>> >
>> > The new udev-145 and newer have some new kernel requirements. How should the
>> > ebuild verify they are met?
>> > Some possible ways:
>> > 1. Check config under /usr/src/linux
>> > 2. Check /proc/config.gz
>> > 3. Print message for user in pkg_postinst
>> >

>> ebuilds usually use linux-info.eclass for this, but that only checks
>> /usr/src/linux -- although checking /proc/config.gz *as well* would be
>> better. That change should be made in the eclass.
>
>  I agree here.  The eclass should check /proc/config.gz.
>  Also, another reason to use the eclass is it respects KBUILD_OUTPUT if
>  it is set.
>
> If /proc/config.gz is the first thing we check, I don't think we need to
> bother at all with checking .config since we know the setup of the
> running kernel.  What does everyone think?

William, not picking on you, just replying in general.

People that suggest to only check /proc/config.gz only are pretty
crazy considering that file is a tunable option. What if the user has
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=n?? The ebuild fails?! Of course, I haven't seen
any code yet, so maybe people are just suggesting to check config.gz
if is exists, then proceed via other means? ;-)

-Jeremy