List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev]  Re: 2009.0 profiles
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2009-08-29 9:42:45

Mike Frysinger posted on Sat, 29 Aug 2009 02:56:33 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Friday 28 August 2009 20:05:12 Alex Alexander wrote:

>> > we already have a simple logical version system.  2009.0 is the next
>> > step.
>>
>> Years do not make a good versioning scheme, if one release gets out
>> late you're automatically considered outdated by users.
>
> then help the release team to get more tested releases, otherwise
> reality is we are releasing out of date install media

But as we all know, releases != profiles.  If there's no reason to update
the profiles besides the fact that the name incorporates a year, and they
look out of date, why do so?

For that reason, getting away from year for the profiles is a reasonable
idea, now that Gentoo seems to be mature enough that we don't need a new
profile multiple times a year.

OTOH, having the year in there, as long as people don't get fixated on
it, can be useful as an indication of when the profile was born, just not
necessarily that it's outdated.  If it weren't for the outdated
appearance, therefore, year would be fine.

Whatever, bikeshedding from my perspective, and this one I don't /care/
what the color/name is.  But since we already have 10.0 profiles in-tree,
just run with them, as it's more work to worry about changing them now,
than it's worth.  (And, I might add, I'm glad they're in, as the /last/
thing we need is to be stalemated debating it for a year or two, as it
/is/ bikeshedding.)