List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo stats server/client @ 2009-08-22
From:       Sebastian Pipping <webmaster () hartwork ! org>
Date:       2009-08-26 0:39:21

Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> That's a nice starting point to have a look if they aren't installed
> they are unpopular or because they fail to build (which makes them a
> candidate for removal).

I'm not following - how would we find out about the reason a package is
never reported installed?

I've been working on the least-installed reporting stuff today.
For now I have split it in two halves:

 (1) a top N least-installed packages table
     (only looking at packages with one install or more)

 (2) an plaintext file with a list of _all_ packages with zero
     installations reported

Latter is linked from the report's TOC on the main page, too.
Benefits I see with this approach include:
- Complete zero-installs data is presented, not excerpts
- Still, the report does not explode
- Suitable for further machine-processing

Small adjustments to this behaviour should be no problem.

Sebastian

(1)
http://smolt.hartwork.org:45678/static/stats/gentoo.html#installed_packages_least_installed_main_tree
(2)