List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] [rfc] paludis and portage in gentoo statistics
From:       Sebastian Pipping <webmaster () hartwork ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 16:31:21

hi there!

intro + high level stuff
=====   ================

the stats gathering project that i'm currently working on mainly
involves data specific to the package manager, i.e. portage.  as some
gentoo users are using paludis instead of portage the question arises if
and how we should integrate data submitted from machines using paludis
or even paludis and portage in parallel.  it might be good to be clear
about this before the actual launch of the service to do better long
term design decisions, even if paludis support is beyond the scope of
the GSoC project.  that's why i bring the topic up now.

any ideas or advice on how we could or should handle that or what to avoid?

implementation

a few variables in portage that do not have a direct equivalent in paludis:

  - ACCEPT_KEYWORDS: deduce from '*/*' line in platforms.conf?
  - ARCH: deduce from CHOST and deduced ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
  - SYNC: not deducable

atoms in paludis seem to be a superset of portages.  if so that would
not cause any trouble so far.

any technical differences that you consider to become a problem?

thanks in advance,

sebastian