List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc:  Accessibility on our release media
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () poczta ! fm>
Date:       2009-05-25 14:26:49

On Sunday 24 of May 2009 01:14:57 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> On 05/23/2009 05:56 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> > William Hubbs wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
> >> being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
> >
> > I agree, it should be in our minimal and live CD's. There is no reason
> > to consider blind persons out of the minimal CD.
>
> The real issue here is the size. If these additional packages plus all of
> the alsa modules add 20MB to the minimal CD, it's just not worth it. It's
> not "minimal" anymore.

Is it the problem with those additional ~20MiB?
If it's about not fitting anymore on "minimal" release media - then it's not
the problem - it will still be able to fit on ~128MB memory sticks and 3,5"
~210MB cd's. And if it's going to make Gentoo accessible for those handicapped
in some way - why not? (Not sure how they actually manage to set up Gentoo
with "no monitor" - even with speech engine on terminal - I just couldn't -
most respect for them).

--
regards
MM